College Prep Literature
College Prep Literature and Writing
Dr. Susan Sigalas
The readings for this class are available by clicking on the links below. Go to www.crosswaterarts.com to find this daily syllabus and active links. Read the assignments for each day listed before coming to class. If you prefer, you may purchase books for the works assigned instead of reading on a device/computer. Sometimes links change, so please let me know if a link is not working.
All essays must be saved as Microsoft Word documents and sent to me by email by the due date. I will grade them and respond to them using Track Changes, which is available in Word. Documents should be attached to the email rather than copied and pasted into the email.
1– September 11: Introduction to the class. Background info on Old English Literature and Beowulf.
- Tuesday, the 12th: Read “What Makes a Good Literature Paper: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/618/01/. Begin reading Beowulf: pp. 1-30. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4zKvvcjF6UAZTM1ODQ1ZTYtZDk0Ny00MDQ3LTliMzUtZWM4ZWIyOWY0NGY5/edit?pref=2&pli=1
- Wednesday, the 13th: Beowulf: pp. 31–60; “Literary Terms”: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/575/1/
- Thursday, the 14th: Beowulf: pp. 61–90; “Writing about Poetry”: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/615/1/
- Friday, the 15th: Beowulf: pp. 90–113
- (You may listen to some of the poem—an abridged version is available, read by Seamus Heaney, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaB0trCztM0. And at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsxxg5P-DnY)
2– September 18: In class, discussion of Beowulf.
- Tuesday, Sep. 19: Read “Caedmon’s Hymn”: http://christianityinliterature.blogspot.com/2008/12/bede-and-caedmons-hymn.html
- “Introduction to Prewriting: Invention” https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/673/01/
- Wednesday, Sep. 20: Read “The Dream of the Rood” https://lightspill.com/poetry/oe/rood.html
- “Thesis Statements”: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/545/1/; https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/588/1/
- Thursday, Sep. 21: Listen to “Caedmon’s Hymn” in Old English: http://ia801401.us.archive.org/3/items/caedmon_librivox/caedmon_ks_64kb.mp3
- Outlines: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/544/1/
- Friday, Sep. 22: “Paragraphs”: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/606/1/
3– September 25 : Fire Drill (weather permitting): Finish discussing Beowulf ; “Discuss “The Dream of the Rood” and “Caedmon’s Hymn”
- Monday through Thursday write a rough draft
4– October 2: (makeup fire drill): Discuss plagiarism. ROUGH DRAFT OF ESSAY 1 DUE (Bring draft to class for peer evaluation)
- Tuesday through Friday: Revise rough draft and proofread
5– October 9: ESSAY 1 DUE (Bring final draft to class for peer editing and proofreading)
- Tuesday, Oct. 10: Make final edits to your essay and turn in before midnight.
- Wednesday, Oct 11: Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, pp. 1–17: http://www.yorku.ca/inpar/sggk_neilson.pdf
- Thursday, Oct. 12: SGGK, pp. 18–35
- Friday, Oct. 13: SGGK, pp. 36–51